Mayor Rahman joins Fire Brigade Union’s fight against Boris’ fire cuts
Mayor of Tower Hamlets, Lutfur Rahman, today joined members of the Fire Brigade Union (FBU) to protest against the proposed cuts to the borough’s fire stations. Mayor Rahman was joined by Paul Embery, regional secretary of the FBU and local fire crews.
Speaking at the event Mayor Rahman said:
‘I am very concerned about plans to close Bow and Whitechapel fire stations. I fear that these proposals from Boris Johnson will cost lives. That is why I have joined a public show of solidarity with the FBU to fight Boris’ proposed fire cuts’.
Ohid Ahmed, deputy mayor and cabinet member for community safety said: ‘Tower Hamlets has more fires than any other London borough and we need greater fire provision, not less as what Boris is proposing. We are committed to doing everything we can to stop these proposed cuts.’
Paul Embery of the FBU said: “We appreciate Mayor Rahman’s support for our campaign to save fire stations in Tower Hamlets. This is the biggest threat to the fire service since the Second World War. We are asking people to join with us against these fire cuts. There is a huge rally in central London on January 21st and I urge everyone to join us and sign our e-petition.”
Notes to editors:
- On 17 October the Fire Brigades Union expressed grave concerns over proposals to close 17 fire stations and slash around 600 jobs http://www.fbu.org.uk/?p=6036
- On 18 October Mayor Rahman issued a Press Release – ‘MayorLutfur Rahman says save our fire stations’ and Boris fire cuts will cost lives.
- Tower Hamlets saw more fires – 1,523 – than any other London borough.
- 308 fires took place in the home – well above the brigade’s target of 227 for Tower Hamlets.
- 3,667 home fire safety visits (which include fitting smoke alarms) were carried out by local crews, mostly to vulnerable people.
- Save Our Fire Stations Petition: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41043
For information about this press release contact Numan Hussain, Political Adviser to the Mayor, on 07508 352 023 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
From Office of the Mayor of Tower Hamlets
For immediate release – 18 October 2012
Mayor Lutfur Rahman says ‘Save Our Fire Stations’
Boris fire cuts will ‘cost lives’
‘Boris Johnson’s plans to shut 17 fire stations and axe 600 jobs will have a devastating impact on fire safety across London. His plans to shut stations in Bow and Whitechapel will put lives at risk.
I call on the residents of Tower Hamlets, and politicians from across all political parties, to join with me in supporting the Fire Brigades Union’s campaign to stop these cuts. Together we can save our fire stations’.
Notes for editors:
· The Fire Brigades Union claim that according to leaked documents Mayor Boris Johnson wants to make £65 million worth of cuts to London Fire Authority: http://www.fbu.org.uk/?p=6036
For further information regarding this release contact the Mayor’s office on 07508 352 023 or email