From the Office of the Mayor of Tower Hamlets
For immediate release – 27 Jan. 2014
Mayor to scrap council car
Transparency a top priority during election period
Mayor Lutfur Rahman has announced that he will be giving up the official car in the lead up to the 2014 local elections.
Mayor Rahman said:
“Although I will continue to work hard and deliver for the people of Tower Hamlets up to 22nd May and beyond, I will naturally be attending more political meetings in the next few months. In order to ensure that the highest standards of probity and transparency are maintained, I will no longer be making use of the official car and I hope that the Labour Speaker of the Council will follow my example.”
Notes to editors:
Mayor Rahman is setting a precedent. Other local authorities provide transportation for Council Leaders and Mayors including:
- Lewisham, where the Mayor has a chauffeur driven car.
- Newham, where Robin Wales has use of a pool car.
- Kensington and Chelsea which maintains a £125,000 Bentley Continental.
- Redbridge which maintains £123,000 two stretch Jaguars.
- The car is leased and will be returned to the leasing company and the driver redeployed within the Council.
For information about this press release contact Numan Hussain, Political Advisor to the Mayor, on 07508 352 023 or email firstname.lastname@example.org